CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Who has never been at least pinched by his/her teacher before? I bet none of us here have never been at least touched by his/her teacher. For those who used to be "rebellion" kids, you might have held a grudge against the teacher who did those things to you. To some, they might have just at least be mad at the teacher. Though you were guilty, by being scolded, reprimanded, pinched, caned or even worse, slapped, it just did not make things even better. What more when you had to bear the pain and humiliation in public.

Boys are statistically proven to be more likely to experience such punishments. It's because boys are naturally naughty and rebellious. I admit that this statement is arguable. Nevertheless, it does not really matter here as mistakes are always paid with punishment regardless of gender. Now ask yourself, do you hold the grudge forever? Did the punishment cost you your life? Are you handicapped just because of being slapped by your teacher? I believe no one will answer yes. Ever thought why? It's simply because as you have now become adults, you know that those experiences are part and parcel of being a child in school. Those punishments infact, have changed your life in a way that you view punishment positively.

It's true that punishment hurts physically and psychologically. That explains why we would quickly be mad at our teacher for reprimanding us. For a record, I wasn't a "rebellion" kid when I was in school. But I was slapped (very very hard) by my Bahasa Malaysia teacher when I was in Form 3. I had never ever caused her any trouble nor disrespected her. In truth, I was afraid to even look at her face! ( She was the most fierce female teacher in my secondary school). Plus, all my classmates then knew me for being the The Nice Boy. However one fateful day had slightly changed my title to not Not-So-Nice Boy. She called me to the front and asked why I didn't have her task sheet. I had lost it. The word "tak tahu" was in my mind then as a spare answer when she would ask where did I put it. However, due to extreme fear, I accidentally answered "entah" when she did question me. "Pang!" She slapped me on my right cheek. I was "hotly" frozen and the moment was suddenly stopped. My friends' jaws were dropping. Never in their wildest imagination that they would witness the so called Nice Boy being slapped for an accident answer on that day. Just imagine how embarrassed I was at that time. To cut short, I quickly threw away the anger and tried very hard to believe that I was guilty and rude and she wasn't. She satisfied her anger by kicking me out from the classroom. Added humiliation moment for me. However, I stayed cool while standing at the corridor. I knew that I was guilty. Even until now, I still feel that I was guilty. She was right to have slapped me. I took it as a psychologically painful lesson. Still, I never hold a grudge against her. She had all the right in the world to slap me because she was my teacher.

Now, the issue I am bringing forward is that what do you think if what had happened to me then, happens now, in one of the schools in Kuala Lumpur? I bet the teacher and the student will be in the news tomorrow morning. His parents will be coming to school the day after and the school together with Malaysian Government will be named as defendants in the court. Don't you think so? Why is this happening? Ever wonder why? Parents seem to have authority over how teachers in school should treat their children. They seem to limit what teacher can and cannot do to their children. Is this because they really love their children to the extent that a little harsh punishment would destroy their children's future? Or parents nowadays are well educated that they know just how to take care of their children. Teachers should just teach at school as it appears to be. Isn't that so?

We, as future teachers, are going to face this situation in near future. There will be time when you feel that children should be treated more than verbal warnings. Yet, when you feel like doing it, you'll be wondering what implications will come next. Therefore, ask yourself whether you want to be this unnecessary dilemma of the new modern world of education.

0 comments: