CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 10, 2009

Give them time.

Who the heck is this guy?
a) A Wales Prince b) An Italian cosmetic founder c) A famous Russian philosopher d) An owner of Ford company


When was the first time I started teaching? I couldn't remember clearly when was it. Obviously, it might had happened more than a decade ago. I had even started holding chalks and writing on blackboard when I was just at 10. Back then, it was just a play. Famous philosophers such as Vygotsky and Piaget suggest, children, when they were probably at my age, were experiencing language and new experience through play.

Suspecting me of making things up? Read this-

"Through play the child develops abstract meaning separate from the objects in the world which is a critical feature in the development of higher mental functions"
(Wikipedia, retrieved on 11 July, 2009). Click on this link for more details-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lev_Vygotsky#Psychology_of_play

My pure intention for digging up these never-been-told-before stories is that I would like to share with you of how destiny was already written on the walls even when we were still at a tender age. Knowing mostly nothing about what lies ahead of us.

As a "young teacher" back then, what I had in my mind was that my "pupils" would get something from me. Thus, I created pop-quiz so that their answers would be no difficult than yes or no. If they got it correctly, sweets were given as awards. Mind you, this is a true story. Today, when reflecting the memory, I knew this is the right path for me. I was destined to be a teacher.

Whether you are an affectionate teacher,









a caring teacher,

a strict teacher,


or a well-fed teacher,






















you have to have a teaching philosophy. You don't have to purposely create it. It's inbuilt. Try to reflect what kind of teacher you are. Then, think of what you prefer and not prefer to do when teaching. Also, think of what are your expectations from your pupils. Finally, that sums up your teaching philosophy. Those questions were lingering in my mind when I was thinking of what my teaching philosophy is.

Up until today, I've been tutoring and teaching and giving tuition almost for two years. Initially, I started nervously and today I would relax-ly stand in front of students and teach even without preparing anything the day before. Of course there is still a long way to go. I will be entering the reality of education once I'm posted to school.

Undoubtedly, those short learning and experimenting experiences really have developed me into what kind of teacher I will be in future. As I gaining as much valuable teaching experience as I could, I learned a lot along the way. Classroom management, time management, children's different abilities, parents' expectations, balancing other responsibilities and many more are what I have been dealing all these years.

The most important thing I learned was that do not give too much pressure on ourselves. By all means, the expectations should be met. However, there shouldn't be added pressure. What I mean here is that always believe what you have thought, given that you have not left anything behind, is enough for your students. Give them some space, opportunities and time to expand their knowledge by themselves. Give everything you have got, and let the children to learn freely. Believe that they actually gain something from you, if not everything. That means, our responsibility which is to deliver, is done. Leave it all the rest to them.
This teaching philosophy is what I'll be holding on for the rest of my life.

The answer for above question is C! It's Lev Vygotsky!

0 comments: